Gifts of Securities
Gifts of securities are the most tax-effective way to make a donation, providing tax benefits while helping friends and neighbours in need. Gifts of appreciated assets, such as securities, are very popular and may provide you with even greater tax benefits than charitable gifts made in cash. Donations of publicly listed securities to United Way are exempt from all capital gains taxation. Please speak with your financial advisor to learn how this would work for you.
Through the donation of shares to United Way, you are able to limit the tax paid on capital gains, and receive a charitable tax receipt for the market value of your publicly traded shares.
Giving a gift of securities is easy:
- You or your broker complete the Share Transfer Form .
- Send the form to United Way’s brokerage firm, which is listed on the Share Transfer Form.
- Authorize your broker to transfer the securities to United Way’s broker account and to let United Way know that this donation is from you.
- Your shares will be sold immediately by United Way. A tax receipt and acknowledgment letter will be issued for the market value on the date
of transfer. A United Way representative may call to verify information.
Please speak with your financial advisors about the tax benefits of donating shares.
For more information about Gift of Securities contact email@example.com
- Learn more about the benefits of Gifts of Securities
- Download more information about Gifts of Securities
- Download and complete the Gifts of Securities form
- Download and complete the Gifts of Securities form – fillable
“For years we have made our gift to the United Way by donating shares of publicly traded companies because it is so tax efficient. By donating shares held in a non-registered account, not only do you get a charitable tax receipt for the full market value of the securities, but you also avoid paying the capital gains tax that you would incur if you were to sell the shares. Please discuss this option with your advisor.”
– Peter and Anne Case