Success By 6 Week – May 4 to May 12, 2013
This fun-filled week of events and activities designed is the youngest members of our community in mind. Success By 6 Week is designed to heighten public awareness of the importance of early-years development and provide opportunities for young children, their families and caregivers to Take the time, make the moments matter™.
Success By 6 Week 2013 Resources: We want you to be as informed as possible about all of the great events going on in KFL&A. Visit the links below to learn more about Success By 6 Week.
Learn about Success By 6 Week Activities:
- 2013 Success By 6 Week Brochure
- 2013 Success By 6 Week Activities
- 2013 Special Advertising Feature: Kingston This Week
Download posters and the colouring book:
What is Success By 6?
Success By 6 is a United Way initiative set up to help improve the lives of our youngest children. Success By 6:
- supports organizations that work with young children age 0 to 6 years
- identifies gaps in children’s services locally, providing resources to get them filled
- Success By 6 works to make early childhood development a priority in KFL&A.
Success By 6 is based on the idea that it takes a village to raise a child and that we all have a role to play in ensuring that every child has a chance to succeed early in life. By investing in young children, their parents and caregivers, we dramatically increase our children’s chances for a healthy and successful future.
The Success By 6 Council of Partners and committees include representatives from private business, government, education, neighbours and parents. Together, we are giving children the tools they need to succeed in life.
Why concentrate on our youngest children?
- The critical period of early child development is age 0 to 6 when the maximum brain development occurs
- Children need a safe, nurturing environments filled with positive stimulation and interaction
- Children from all economic backgrounds can benefit from programs in early child development and effective parenting
- Every dollar spent in prevention programs saves seven dollars in future spending
- The number of children needing support in KFL&A is on therise
What kinds of things has Success By 6 done so far?
The following gaps have been identified and Success By 6 has helped get them filled by supporting critical areas of need, such as:
- transportation and access to programs for young children including those living in rural & hard to serve areas within KFL&A
- parenting programs and workshops to help parents gain the skills they need to be good parents, because children don’t come with instructions
- parenting support and resources for children with learning and developmental disability
- links between aboriginal families and children’s services
- school readiness programs promoting early learning to ensure children enter school with cognitive, social and emotional maturity to get along with others and are ready to learn
- grants to local organizations that enable parents, caregivers and young children to participate in programs and services to give them the best start in life
- research and reports that provide information and a baseline measure of how children of KFL&A are doing.
Success By 6 will continue to focus on creating a “child-friendly” community and work with community partners to ensure that children are a priority in Kingston, Frontenac, Lennox & Addington. We will continue to identify gaps in children’s services and support preventive programs to give children every opportunity to succeed for life.
What is the link between United Way and Success By 6?
Success By 6 is a United Way led initiative. It was started in Minneapolis and has now spread across the continent mobilizing local groups and organizations to work together to initiate and fund social services that don’t have alternative support. It is a registered trademark and local United Ways obtain a license to use the logo.
How does Success By 6 use funds raised?
All funds designated to Success By 6 are kept in a separate pool and used specifically for programs and services that benefit children 0-6 years, their parents and caregivers.
How do I donate to Success By 6?
You can donate by VISA, Mastercard, Amex, debit card, cash or cheque. All cheques are payable to the United Way. If you are designating to Success By 6, please be sure to write this on the pledge card or cheque.
Where do I go to access services and parenting programs?
There are a number of resources in KFL&A including:
- KFL&A Public Health 613-549-1232
- Kingston Military Family Resource Centre, CFB Kingston 613-541-5010
- Ontario Early Years Centres: Limestone Advisory for Child Care Programs, Kingston 613-384-5188
- Ontario Early Years Centres: Lennox & Addington Resources for Children, Napanee 613-354-6318
- The Child Centre, Sharbot Lake 613-279-2244
Who will answer more questions about Success By 6?
Call the United Way office, and ask for Bhavana Varma, President & CEO, 613-542-2674 ext. 2, email@example.com or Kim Hockey, Director, Community Investment 613-542-2674 ext. 6, firstname.lastname@example.org