Become a Nanny Angel!
Imagine a world where every mother with cancer receives the care needed for her children – so she has enough time to care for herself. Now, also imagine a world where every child receives the support they need to cope with their mother’s illness or death.
The Nanny Angel Network (NAN) offers rewarding positions for skilled childcare providers who are looking to make a difference in the lives of families.
Nanny Angels provide free, specialized in-home relief childcare support for mothers who have been diagnosed with cancer, for those requiring palliative care and for families requiring additional relief during the bereavement period.
Nanny Angels lessen the impact of cancer on families by engaging children in enjoyable, age-appropriate activities to help reduce any stress or anxiety they may be experiencing as a result of their mom’s illness or death. By visiting weekly, building trust and having fun, Nanny Angels help mothers gain the confidence and peace of mind to rest or attend appointments, knowing their children are cared for and supported by knowledgeable and compassionate volunteers.
Nanny Angels receive specialized training in children’s grief and bereavement and receive the support of NAN’s Child Life Specialist.
How you can help
• Provide fun, educational, creative and safe experiences for the children
• Six-month commitment to ensure support during the duration of a mom’s cancer treatment and recovery
• 4 hours of childcare service per week to the same family
• Volunteers are matched with families based on compatibility and location within the Kingston area.
Kindly note, the role is not that of a babysitter, housekeeper or personal assistant – a Nanny Angel’s primary focus is engaging and supporting the children.
• One year of recent professional or volunteer childcare experience. Some examples include the roles listed below:
o Professional Nannies
o Teachers, Social Workers, Pediatric Nurses and Child Life Specialists
o Early Childhood Educators
o Students currently enrolled in professional programs stated above
o Camp Counselors/Sunday School Teachers with cumulative experience
• Minimum 18 years of age
• Vulnerable Sector police clearance, current CPR and First Aid training
*Please note that there are other NAN volunteer positions that do not require childcare experience, including NAN Ambassador and Special Events and Fundraising Volunteer.
There’s a family in your community waiting for their very own Nanny Angel!
Please complete the online application at https://nannyangelnetwork.com/get-involved