Help welcome and settle refugees into Kingston!
Some friends and I are privately sponsoring an extended family of 9 Syrian refugees and we need help. The family hasn't arrived yet but we expect them to in the coming months.
The family is highly educated and most speak English very well. We need to recruit some volunteers to join our team and help us with tasks such as:
- Sourcing donations of furniture and potential accommodation
- Helping the family members apply for OHIP, SINs etc.
- Drive the family members to appointments (doctor, dentist) and for groceries
- Visit the family regularly to see how they are settling in
- Help some of the family members with their English (most of them speak English fluently, but one adult and three children will need some assistance)
- Showing the family members around Kingston and taking them out to events
- Enrolling the children in school
You can be as involved (or not) as you like, from helping out on a single day to befriending the family for their first year in Canada.
Please email email@example.com for more information. A recent CPIC will be required.